All the Fiber, None of the Fat

Friday, August 31, 2007

Challenges

I’ve had a few these last three weeks. Mostly blood glucose related. Even though I’m not taking a sulfonylurea Byetta is kicking my ‘arse’. I’m still experiencing lows in the evening (40’s and 50’s) which make getting anything accomplished nearly impossible.

My knitting for one is suffering….it’s hard to focus when you’re struggling to get your BG up. These lows last for several hours and by the time I manage to get my BG up into the 70’s I feel like a truck has drug me down the road by my ankles and all I want to do is sleep.

I’m nervous about how I’m going to deal with all of this in the middle of this outdoor festival I’m doing the second week in September….dealing with a low would not be a good thing. On the plus side this stuff has really made my morning numbers great and I’ve had fasting levels that would make a non-diabetic envois. 82 morning fasting when I take the dinner dose….140 when I don’t. And of coarse when I start my day with a fasting of 140 my numbers the rest of the day stink. It’s just those pesky evening lows….which by the way no one has an explanation for. Not my doctor, not Lilly, not other people using Byetta….no one has every heard of that happening to anyone not also taking a sulfonylurea. I’m an anomaly.

I hate being an anomaly.

But again….on the plus side….I’m drinking a boat-load of juice….something I hadn’t be able to do in a long time. I ‘heart’ juice.

I’m still hoping to finish the August socks when I get home tonight….lets just hope my body cooperates.

No comments: